Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can- Yes We Did- Yes We Must...


Oh so many things going on in my head right now and I don't want to ramble so I'll be organized!


Obama Won- First Black President!

If there are any young people out there still thinking that the "man" is keeping us down and we can never reach our dreams, stop it now! Now, I'm real enough to know that this doesn't mean racism is dead. I work in civil rights law, unfortunately (but fortunately I have a job) prejudice is keeping me employed. However if this isn't a major step in the rethinking of America what is? Obama got more votes from white America than even Gore or John Kerry did.


And while I admit, I was late to the bandwagon and was initially a Clinton supporter when she lost I had no problems with moving on and doing my part to help change come. And so did many Americans. I waited in an hour and a half line to vote and I would have waited much much longer for this vote! People were crying and others screams of joys as they voted. This was powerful!


The Reaction

When my mother woke me up to tell me he won (I refused to follow and be mislead by the media still healing from the Gore v. Bush wounds where I went to bed with Gore the projected winner and woke up with Bush!) I turned on the TV and many channels were showing the black reaction. People in tears (including Jesse Jackson and Oprah). I started tearing up as well at the possibilities this meant. I hope this places some type of change on the black community and how we treat each other and achieve success.


But this isn't just a black triumph, after all he couldn't have won with just our vote. He got most of the Hispanic and young vote. And as Solidad Obrien pointed out last night, this vote was a clear indicator of what our world is to become in 2050 where minorities as a group will be the majority in this country if we work together. Obama got the majority of the minority vote and that helped him win. The most recent number I've heard so far as to the percentage of the white vote he received was about 44% so it's clear to understand the power of the vote to other minority groups, something it appears McCain (who did a very humble and positive speech last night) might have took for granted.


But all his supporters were joyous as I flipped through the TV stations and saw the diversity in the crowds all over the country and world (people were jumping up and down in Paris, London, Japan, Kenya!). I live in a mostly white neighborhood in the city with a make up of mostly young art students, gay men, young professionals and wealthy people. From about 11-1am last night (at least until I fell asleep) I heard car honkings and cries of joy through the streets. This win transcends color. How encouraging.


Yes We Must

Obama's speech indicated that change hadn't finished and we must all sacrifice a little to help. I'm fine with that. I only hope others understand that change won't come overnight and it won't come easy. I can't help but feel he'll be judged a little stronger than past presidents but I'm hoping people are patient and give him a real fighting chance.


I also hope he has the best security ever invented. I'm talking, protective snipers on roofs, hidden body guards in the audience, bullet proff windows. Heck if he could walk around with a force shield on I'd feel better. Somewhere in the back of mind while watching him on stage last night with no body guards with him, I couldn't help but worry about some fool assassinating him. Even before he won there were plots on his life. Let's hope/pray/wish that this time our history will be different and better.


Now I'm going to go listen to some Sam Cook "Change going to come"

6 comments:

Lady Dulayne said...

I'd nodded off a little bit after 11am and woke up jsut in time to hear ABC announce our new president as Barack Obama! I woke right up and watched his numbers go from 240 to 297 and immediately started crying. I mean, snotty balling my eyes out. I just could not believe it!

It is a new day! And I am so excited!

Now that's get, get get, Bush the FUCK OUT!

Music Snob said...

Well said Cat! Well said!

clnmike said...

The tought times have yet to come for him I wish him the best of luck.

Unknown said...

I followed from 7 pm until the number jumped to the speech to all the talk afterward.

I told myself I wasn't going to watch until 9/10pm but, I had to.
Bit my nails, started stressing when I thought McCain was going to catch up.
When the polls closed in the west and his number just jumped I was up and screaming. I couldn't believe it jumped like that.

Amen about that tired talk of the man holding black folks back.

And also to the we as Americans voted him in. Not just black people because I get upset when I hear ignorant talk like that.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

we need to ask ourselves what is that we as individuals need to do now and be realistis. yes historic, now lets see what changes in america.
i just hope the red states
dont desire to return to the history pre 1960

Eb the Celeb said...

Our president is black and the first lady is chocolate just like me... I love it!