I was inspired to write this by a blog I read on b the site
that asked what Sex and the City would look like if it were set in Baltimore (my current residency). Where would the characters live, play, eat and of course drink? For the most part the blogger’s suggested background was quite cleaver. But seriously can Baltimore be a real fifth character? It may have some similar neighborhoods and a store or two like New York but the comparison only adds to how slow the city is. However, it also shows how Baltimore has more going on than what The Wire might show you. Heck, we get so many movies filmed here because it’s a city that can mimic practically any city in this country and if it was a warzone producers surely wouldn’t be risking their actors to film here. See this site for list of movies made here- pretty impressive (Silence of the Lambs, Beauty Shop, Live Free or Die Hard just to name a few)
Anywho, Baltimore is no New York and if Sex and the City were filmed here… well the series would be short lived. Don’t get me wrong, Baltimore is trying to step up (Step Up, another movie set and made here) but it’s not doing it fast enough.
The good that could provide a New York vibe:
1) Housing, it’s really coming up with some sharp looking condos and houses I must say. Although pricey it is in no way as expensive as New York! The gals could feel right at home in Bolton Hill/ Mt. Vernon, Federal Hill, or near the Inner Harbor. But uniquely we have comfy, quieter spots like Hampden, Charles Village or Canton and up and coming spots like Washington Village, Fells Point and Locust Point to consider.
2) The girl’s gay friends could find their scene in the artsy Mt. Vernon district.
3) Shopping is improving dramatically. So many boutiques in Canton, Fells, Federal and Mt. Vernon and even the Gallery Mall has improved (now put in a M.A.C. store, H&M and Sephora and I’ll love ya for life!) And the prices? Very NY cause I know I can’t afford them. But we do have quite a few awesome vintage spots (checked out Hampden lately?)!
4) Art lovers like Charlotte won’t get bored. If nothing, we are an artsy city, with some of the best spoken word to boot, I must say and festivals galore!
5) Pretty good dining scene. There is a great effort to put out new places to eat on a regular basis and I have to say, although it can be pricey, it’s worth a look around and try and the environments- very trendy.
1) Our nightlife sucks to high heaven. The girls will only be drinking their cosmos in some very limited spots (Red Maple, Cosmo bar and Grill, Sky Lounge, Pazo). No clubs here really and no new hot spots that open every month like our dinning venues (hint, hint). We are a city heavy in bars with a side of lounges (at least there aren’t many cover charges). I suppose the girls could check out the hotel bar scene (there is the Belevedere). But beware we close so darn early here you gotta go out practically right after dinner (and an early one at that, hehe).
2) Everyone would end up dating the same people (Smalltimore that it is). With a very limited dating scene (Bigs, Aidans, hell Steve’s are hard to come by round these parts) the gals might get bored pretty quickly or else change up partners.
Okay, so maybe the girls won’t have such a bad time here. Provided there were a few more of the male sex here and a bit more exiting night life, I believe Baltimore could be a good fifth character in a Sex and the City life…I’m still moving though.
DIY: Light Bulb Vases - Video
2 months ago