Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hmm- Should I be offened?

I'm a fan of Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr but I had to stop and scratch my head when I saw this trailer for their new movie Tropic Thunder.

Obviously controversey is already out there even though the trailers have yet to really hit the tube.

I try not to be overly sensitive to some things but its a struggle in progress to me. I understand Downey's character is not suppossed to be black (this isn't Imitation of Life here where we have a white woman playing a biracial/black woman). His character is a white man who is an extreme method actor who undergoes procedures to make his skin darker, change his nose and gets a hair transplant. Even the "real" black character in the movie comments on the "wrongness" of it all. See, the plot revolves around actors who play soldiers in a movie but they actually get caught up in a real war. Downey's character gets the role of the lead black soldier which his actual black costar in the movie is angered about as he has a lesser role and is actually black.

I'm not comfortable.

Obviously there was no mal intentions in creating this. Downey's character is hardly the Black Face we've seen in our history. And we must be honest, many people have done the scenario in recent years (White Chicks, Busta Rymes video, Tracy Ullman , Eddie Murphy (he's done white and asian)).Granted other than Tracy Ullman, I haven't seen too many white people do black face in this day and age but isn't it fair game if black people have done "white face"? Or is the wound of our racist history still to fresh to "go there"? I mean, its not like there was a history of "white face" used to oppress and beat down white people.
I don't know, I want to give the movie a fair shot and hear about how they handle it.

6 comments:

Erika 2004 said...

When I first heard about this movie via another blog, oh yes, I was highly offended. I was so offended I didn't even think that it was worth me blogging about. I was just too pissed!! No way was something like that going to get my time or attention. Once I saw the previews, I was less offended, still offended, however. The intention does not appear to be overly racial, however, they appear to be on a very thin line with this one. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I plan to give it a chance, see it with a mixed audience, see what kind of reactions it gets.

Ted Danson got a lot of flack with his 'homage' to black face a few years back. And wasn't there some politician that thought a black face costume at a costume party was highly entertaining?

Our racism history will always be too fresh because our racism history is also our racism present. We can't expect to fully get past racism because, let's face it, it has never left and is never going away. At least not in our lifetimes.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

u know i dont even go to movies
just an intor chk me out one day
i found u from the True Urbanm queen momma, and interior decorator extrodinaire

Diva's Thoughts said...

I'm not offended. I think it'll be quite funny actully but I will reserve the right to change my opinion if I see this movie and his dialog is offensive.

Lady Dulayne said...

I saw the trailer during previews in the theater and didn't even know it ws him until it was pointed out to me. I was rolling! Mainly because I thought it was such a spot-on impersonal, racist or not. I was sold.

Maybe I should be offended but I'm actually interested in seeing the movie. Maybe I can get a better idea.

And Robert Downey Jr. is a cutie! I always thought so.

CC Solomon said...

I know that's why I'm so conficted! I kinda want to see it, I pray they don't offend me b/c I'd really hate to not like Robert Downey Jr.!

Not Your Average Male said...

Honestly, I heard about this movie a while ago but have yet to see the trailer. I get the impression (without actually knowing any of the parties involved) that it will be presented to comic effect -- with no malicious intent to harm. I doubt that it will be anything like Eddie in Coming to America (thanks for posting a pic from my favorite movie, by the way) but I still think it will be fairly humorous.

Let's see how this plays out...