Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Running Scared

Okay I run a few miles a few times a week (okay, I run/walk a few miles a few times a week). It’s good exercise and I lost a lot of weight doing it. Anywho, whenever I go running; morning, evening, weekday or weekend; I can’t seem to bypass the catcalls, car honks or stares.

I just wanna run people, why does it have to be a spectacle? I’m not wearing anything other runners aren’t wearing, heck, I wear more. Nothings hanging out, so I’m not an eye sore. And a lot of other girls run who wear much less and are cute don’t get the obvious harassment.
The only difference I can think of is I’m a black female.

Despite what you might have seen in the Olympics there really aren’t that many black runners. Scratch that, not many Black American distance runners. Since I’ve taken up running (well jogging), more than a year ago, I can count on one hand the amount of black women I’ve seen outside running, a few more for power walking. Not that I’ve seen a whole bunch of black men running, but there are more.

I really don’t get why it’s such a rarity in my city but it needs to stop. I get so tired of running past of group of black men who stop their conversation and watch me as I run past, making a comment or two, sometimes verbal sexual harassment or sometimes for the positive like “run, sista”. That’s not so bad but sometimes I just want to run without looking like I’m making a stand.

Heck even people of other races look. Usually not the other runners, I usually get a nod or hello from them, which makes me feel like I’m part of some special inner circle (silly I know but encouraging none the less). However, I think other races seeing a black person run in the city are still taken back, you can just see the look of curiosity on their faces like “where’s she going, is she late for the bus?” (Just kidding). This is not everyone but I encounter it from at least two people every time I run.

Anyway, all I’m saying is, I need to see more women of color out their running (particularly Black and Latina, I tend to see a fair amount of Asian women running already) so I don’t continue looking like I’m marching for change instead of simply getting some exercise. Heck, I don’t care if all you do is go for a power walk just get out there so I’m not alone and it becomes the norm!
That is all.

9 comments:

Music Snob said...

Girl I could have written this blog myself. That's why I started running in Federal Hill park since you dont encounter as many pedestrians.

Maybe our first meetup can be a co-jog around Federal Hill? Let me know. Also I only run once or twice a week since my knee starts to hurt when I run more frequently, so you'll probably dust me ass. :)

CC Solomon said...

I'm all for jogging round Federal Hill Park one weekend! And don't believe the hype, I can't run that far without incorporating a walk in the mix so I don't pass out on the sidewalk!

clnmike said...

Now that you wrote this I do not see many black women running out doors, but I suspect thats because they prefer the gym. I see a lot of women in the gym especially on the tread mill, I think out door running doesnt appeal to most, maybe for the same reason you mentioned, about cat calls.

Unknown said...

I once decided I wanted to take up jogging. I was told it is actually bad on a woman. And it is better to to be indoors on a tread mill.

I will speed walk.

Lady Dulayne said...

I don't know if this happens everywhere but I"ve chalked this up to another side effect of Baltimore city living, which is why when I run I am either on a school track on in the gym on a treadmill.

Which is sad cause Id love to run outdoors but I gave up on that years ago when trying to run around my 'hood brought too much attention. I had guys pulling up next to me in their cars, making all types of comments, guys making U-turns, cat calls and it made me feel vulnerable.

I do not understand why these men don't get how unwanted this attention is. Goes back to my "Men are so oblivious" blogs. Its not only annoying but invasive.

Anonymous said...

lol @ "a part of an inner-circle". believe it or not, you are a part of rare group: exercisers. that's why folks in america so fat today because they won't get off their a**es and exercise, especially those in the african-american community. despite all of the hootin' and hollarin' you have to deal with, you are taking care of yourself and that is to be commended. bammas are always gonna have something slick to say, so you just gotta ignore them; i know you have an mp3 player or ipod to listen to on your run/walks and if not, then you should get one. typically when you have one of those, people are more prone not to bother you because it's obvious that you are on a mission.

[Associated Mess©]

Anonymous said...

I don't know...the only place I see people running/walking/exercising is at Lake Montebello and that seems to be more black or at least evenly mixed?

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

It's nice to find this blog!

I have a friend who is always complaining about the catcalls she gets when she's running...

{sigh}

She's VERY fit and in shape but she has a large behind and wide hips and she is always running in spandex pants that show every single curve of a woman's body. She also tells me that she wears thongs to run in.

And she wants to know why people in cars are looking and honking the horn? She knows she is being fetishized but pretends to be oblivious....{shaking my head}

Just a little hint to my sistas who run...if any part of your jiggles or bounces while you are running then don't ask why people are looking because you are WELL AWARE what they are looking at....and they aren't looking at the skin color.

OK? Just sayin'

(smiles)
Lisa

CC Solomon said...

Lisa- thanks for dropping by, yeah, if I was dressed like your friend then I would have to reconsider my post but I take note of such things to reduce attention (even though my white counterparts can wear such items freely, but tis life).
marcus- man, even with my ipod on and me running people still talk and expect me to conversate back. it's apparent they want to divert my mission. hehe