Thursday, September 25, 2008

Race Relations Today

With the upcoming elections being so historical talk of race can't help but wiggle it's way into our media.
I've read three articles recently that got me thinking: Have we come a long way since the civil rights movement as a country?

Article one in yahoo! discussed whether blacks and whites view race issues the same. The answer is an obvious no. Blacks still believe by at least 60% that racism still is a large issue and it is not our own doing or a play of the race card. Almost an exact percentage of whites believe just the opposite. Why is that? My first thought is simply, blacks (and other minorities) are still the number one victims of racism. We aren't the majority, us employing institutionalized racism on whites will simply have no societal effect. Therefore, we are going to continue to see the world at a different angle than whites simply because of our minority status. In a world where I am one of the few black people around, I am always going to be conscious of that and more sensitive to racial issues that may appear to be less obvious but all the same just as damaging as racism back in the 1960s. I will recognize racial inequality in employment and education as well as racial profiling and even the ever common walking down the street and a person of another race clutching their purse or moving away when you stand near them. A white person, not facing these issues and not seeing these issues on a regular basis (there are no more "for whites only" or "for coloreds only" signs and we don't have the media showing peaceful protesters getting hosed) are not going to feel the sting of racism. Already in this campaign the media has called Michelle Obama, on a professional news cast, his "baby momma" and can we forget the New Yorkers cover of Barack and Michele Obama? Was McCain so disrespected?


This leads me to the next article I read about writer, actor, director Tyler Perry. He was asked why his movies are only about blacks. Okay, side bar, have we ever asked any white directors why they continuously make movies centered around white people? Perry replied that he grew up in a black town and he is writing what he knows. He doesn't know white culture so he can't write about it.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with this but all the same if Perry wants to make black movies then what's the harm? My real problem here is that his statement is so true. We are a legally integrated society making the choice (financial or not) to live segregated. I remember going to college and having a white friend of mine come to me and angrily state how another white person asked her how it was to live with black people. Or meeting white people who had never seen a black person in person. I also remember going to a predominantly black high school and having the teacher ask the students who was the majority race in America to which they replied black, but hey that's all they knew! And that's the sad part, until we really integrate, race is always going to be an issue. We will be afraid to talk about it or we will hold on to negative stereotypes because we haven't met anyone to disprove them.

Which leads to my final article rant, Glamour has a limited series on race and this month they are discussing interracial friendships. The panel discussed how, even though many of them have friends of other races, their closets friends are always of the same race. One friend stated that her Latina friend said at the end of the day she wanted to be amongst her people so that she didn't feel she had to explain herself or her culture and just be. She was tired of people asking her about Latin food. I had a similar friend in college say a similar thing. We were on the Black Student's Association and some of us wanted to do a program that was educational about black culture to enlighten "outside cultures". She said, she was constantly doing that already and she just wanted to finally celebrate us without catering to another.

I get the frustration but it is also a blockage to establishing real cross cultural friendships. Yes, it's an effort to open up to other races and talk to them as you would your same race/cultured friends but it can be pretty rewarding. I remember talking about racial stereotypes and interracial dating in front of my white girlfriends and thought "this will be awkward" and it wasn't at all! Making friends of other races will really help in the effort to eradicate racism. That might mean leaving the comfort of your same race neighborhood to check out other places and maybe join other groups/social clubs. Now I'm not say come off looking like you're trying to make your rainbow connection of friends but put yourself in places to establish new surroundings. I've made the effort and feel I'm better off for it. I think once we expose our cultures, issues and thoughts to people of other races in a friendly atmosphere we can finally establish the foundation to really be a united America.
Get's off soap box.

8 comments:

clnmike said...

Interesting post, my close friends are all black but they understand where I am coming from, I can tell a white person but no matter what they are not going to get it.

Not there falt the playing field is just tilted in thier favor and as long they have number it will always be that way.

It's only natural for people to seek out their own especially if you are the minority.

Erika 2004 said...

In my freshman year English class, I remember I was the only Black in the room. We had a reading about a black woman visiting a white woman in the '50s or '60s era. The story was written from the black woman's perspective. The white woman basically went out of her way to be welcoming to the black woman, had jazz music playing, prepared some typical black dishes. The black woman felt very patronized. My classmates, who were all white, felt that the black woman was being too "sensitive". On one hand, I could see that the white woman was just trying to be a good host and make her guest feel welcome. But why go out of your way to emphasize the things that you think make us different? That situation would probably make me feel a bit more uncomfortable. The white woman already had this black woman judged, what was there to get to know?

Your Tyler Perry reference reminded of an editor's letter a few years back in Heart and Soul magazine. A reader, a white woman, commented on how she enjoyed reading the magazine, but was getting bothered by the lack of articles for fairer skin women. After all, she marched for civil rights in the '60s. All these magazines that cater to white woman, I see at least 5 when I go to B&N, and she picks up the one the caters to AA women issues and then has the audacity to complain?

Personally, I don't mind having friends outside my race. But I can understand just wanting to "be". Sometimes you end up with that of white people who expect you to be the spokesperson for your entire race, which, of course, you can't be, instead of truly being a friend.

Karyn Beach said...

I think we are making progress especially the younger generation. All you have to do is look at the number of interracial children and couples to see that some of us really do get along! LOL!

At the same time, I think we have a long way to go but I also question what the end goal is. We are different culturally: black, white, Latino, Asian, ... if the goal is us all holding hands and singing Kumbaya then I don't think we will ever achieve it. However, if the goal is to accept differences and respect them without us having to agree on everything then it is a possibility.

and1grad said...

I agree with you on the last topic. Although my CLOSEST friends are black, I have a very eclectic mix of friends that I hang out with mostly. Maybe that stems from how/where I grew up.

In regards to Tyler Perry and writing for your own, white writers/directors for white shows actually WERE commonly asked about that and responded the exact same way Perry did.

CC Solomon said...

And1grad- and that's the sad part. We really can write for each other- Shonda Rhimes does on Grey's Anatomy!

Unknown said...

This is very thought provoking.

I have to say that I am much more comfortable around my own race. Which is black.
I am uncomfortable in a room full of white people. I feel they are judging me. Watching me. Whispering about me. And so on and so on.
I have people who I talk to and go around (sometimes) who are other races but in the end I rather be around someone I can relate to.

Funny thing my mother is white but, I would rather be around the black side then the white. (That is a whole other issue).

I understand what Tyler is saying and if he or the other directors/producers were not making black films we would be completely overlooked.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

some things will never change in america
have a gr8 weekend jones

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog after following some random links... really like what you have here. This entry is especially well-written.