Friday, September 12, 2008

Cities for Singles?

So Forbes came out with this years best cities for singles and all I got to say is this: What kind of single people were they talking about?

but below are the top 25 cities (they list 40 in all with my family home town of Jacksonville, Florida being last (not surprising! there's no one there!):


  1. Atlanta - now for a black straight woman, I wonder if this is really accurate. I heard there is a large gay black male community here (down low and out) and even though there is a large upper class black community with a cool night scene, I'm not sold on Hotlanta being the place to be.

  2. San Francisco - now, come on, they are not talking about straight singles here! which is fine but lets be clear so no one gets set up!

  3. Dallas - I could see this

  4. Minneapolis - is this a diverse city?

  5. Washington D.C. - all the women in this city? they must be talking about for single men

  6. Seattle - I actually hear good things about this city

  7. Boston

  8. New York City - not surprised

  9. Orlando - guess all those disney characters are hooking up!

  10. Phoenix

  11. Chicago - I'm a beliver, guess people want to get attached when it gets really cold there

  12. Denver-Aurora - same thought here

  13. Miami - all the beautiful people, wonder if it's really superficial, like do you need to be a model to find love here?

  14. Austin

  15. San Antonio

  16. Los Angeles

  17. Houston - this is the fourth texas city announced, guess love is big in texas too!

  18. Charlotte

  19. San Diego

  20. St. Louis

  21. Columbus

  22. Philadelphia

  23. Tampa-St. Petersburg

  24. Las Vegas

  25. Baltimore - scratches her head on this one, are they thinking of all races and social economic backgrounds when they list this city? You know maybe there are a lot of single folk here but we sure aren't meeting each other (at least not eligible (ie educated, job having, no drama/std/drugs toting) ones)

The site also list other categories like best/worst night life- NY got the best, Charlotte, NC got the worst (number 40 out of 40), Baltimore was 21st


best/worst on line dating- Charlotte was the best (makes since since their night life is the worst guess they spend more time indoors on line at night?), Memphis was the worst, Baltimore ranked 23rd.


best/worst culture- Los Angeles was the best, Jacksonville ranked worst, Baltimore ranked 17th. Now by culture I'm not sure if they mean racial diversity or artistic culture or both. If artistic or both- I might agree. I still haven't found the arts scene in Jville and it's hardly a diverse city (still some racial problems going on there) and ranking Bmore as slightly above the middle seems fair. We've got a lot of art but we aren't beating out NY , Philly, DC or Miami, especially when mixed in with the diversity factor.

In all honesty, I think this site is talking about who has more singles in it than which city has more love opportunities for singles. Therefore Jacksonville ranking last makes since, seeing as all my cousins are in relationships there. Atlanta and New York being top cities only shows that there are a lot of single people there which might mean less people interested in committed relationships which may mean lesser chances of getting in a relationship there (but I guess you'll have fun dating!) Using that logic then wouldn't it make since to go to the states with fewer singles? It may mean that the few singles will feel a greater desire to get in relationships because the single scene is so small. Hmm, just wondering.


8 comments:

Diva's Thoughts said...

Ok, I find this very fascinating. I am passing this on to my homegirl in Charlotte!

Karyn Beach said...

I'm Diva Thought's Charlotte homegirl. The nightlife isn't that bad. I've been in quite a few cities (Baltimore, LA, Phoenix...) and the Internet dating thing has never worked for me but it does seem to work for others here.

I'm beginning to think that finding the right person is more a matter of luck than where you live.

I would love to see a list like this for Black straight singles.

Unknown said...

I need a list that breaks it down by race.
And by class and by whether or not these men have prison records or jobs. lol.

CC Solomon said...

Hey Excuse Eliminator, Yeah, I was pretty shocked by Charlotte's ranking b/c I believe them to be up and coming like Bmore. To be honest I think this site is going by which city has the most singles not necessarily the best opportunities for singles. I'd love to see a list for black professional singles too

clnmike said...

Atlanta is not as bad as people make it out to seem but it does have it's a noticable black gay and lesbian population.

Anonymous said...

i saw this forbes list (forbes.com is my homepage) and i was surprised to see where d.c. ranked and you are right in what you said. there are plenty of women here in the district, but brothas don't act right and a lot of them are gay and/or bisexual and/or on the down low. crazy stuff!

[Associated Mess©]

Kim M. said...

They are completely incorrect about Orlando. I've been here 4.5 years. There is NO ONE here that I'd even be remotely interested in dating, trust me. Now if they're only referring to college students who live here for a short time while their internships are in effect, then yes. This is a wonderful place for singles.

and1grad said...

San Francisco does have its gay population but it actually is GREAT for singles. I dont know how they ranked LA over San Fran in terms of culture b/c its not even close. I cant say I've been everywhere but I've never seen a city with more diverse culture than SF.