Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why?

First they brought your favorite books to the screen (fine), then your favorite comic books (okay) tv shows (alright), 70's and 80's cartoons to the screen (sure), then your favorite video games (not bad) but your favorite board games- they've taken it too far now!

Read below:


NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hasbro Inc on Wednesday said it signed a six-year deal with Universal Pictures for the film company to make at least four movies based on well-known games like Monopoly, Battleship, Candy Land and Ouija.

The first movie from the deal is to be released in either 2010 or 2011, with Universal releasing at least one film per year thereafter, the companies said.
Universal pictures is part of NBC Universal, which is 80 percent owned by General Electric Co and 20 percent by France's Vivendi.
(Reporting by Justin Grant, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)




Sooo, a Monopoly movie? I just can't get the premise here? Or at least one that's interesting. People trying to make a profit in real estate? Maybe competing against each other? Maybe landing in jail? Would this be a comedy with an ensemble cast?


I mean, I guess it was sucessful when they did it with Clue back in the 80's but that was a mystery game so it was easy to bring to the screen but Candy land? Seriously?


Or the Ouija board? I guess that could be a scary movie? I can see how this might be interesting (horror movie fan that I am).


Battleship- a war movie?


I don't know *scratches her head in thought*. I'm back on the Candy land. I barely remember that premise of the game (you're finding somebody I think) I just remembered I loved it. I guess if I was still in elementary school this might appeal to me but I don't know...GET SOME NEW IDEAS HOLLYWOOD.

4 comments:

Not Your Average Male said...

Okay, they've gone too far... I don't get it. I'd almost prefer to watch a movie about someone paying their bills than to watch them degrade a classic boardgame like Monopoly -- it's just wrong.

C'mon, man... I loved "Sorry!" as much as the next person, but I don't think this stuff is good movie fodder whatsoever.

Lady Dulayne said...

*jaw drops*

What in the hell! Huh?

I'm stumped too. First on how to create plots on these games and second, why! That goes beyond ridiculous and really they are to be so embarassed to have to stoop that daggone low. Ok, I'm taking this to mean get on my screenplay cause obviously there is a market for original ideas and writings right now.

Note taken. I need to be writing.

Erika 2004 said...

You got to be kidding me!! Candyland? No words. I am absolutely speechless. There not even trying.

Monopoly??? The game can get so boring, what the hell they think the movie is going to be.

I'm done.

Erika 2004 said...

@tgfph: Please get that screenplay together, pronto.