Thursday, February 7, 2008

Brazil recap.



I'm baaack! As I am layed up in my bed going in and out of my medicated induced drowsiness (I brought back a sinus infection) thought I'd do a recap of my trip. Brazil was a blast. The people are indeed one of the most friendly people I have ever encountered. It blows my mind just how kind they were to me and I honestly feel we could learn a lesson in their happiness despite their economic issues. Rich in diversity (Sorry to say I had no clue there were Asian people in Brazil, really Brazil should be called the melting pot, not only do they have every race but it seems they blend together effortessly), culture, beaches, mountains and other natural resources. I didn't get jacked not once! Actually felt pretty safe. But with all it's beauty one cannot ignore the extreme poverty. Very heart breaking to see children on living on the street. People there seem to ignore it but I, along with other tourist couldn't see past it. I've just never seen homeless kids before. NOt that I think we don't have any it's just that they are usually in shelters. I've never seen them alone, sleeping on the city streets.
Other things I noticed, prostitution. So, I stayed on the Copacabana which was the hot spot for such "working girls". And having noticed that many of these working girls looked just like me, i kept my eye out for any suspicisous activities around me. Most of their "customers" happened to be older white men and I caught a few giving me and my other friend who is black the eye (people watcher that I am). In general there appeared to be very few black middle class and up (well there is a hardly a middle class period) and darn sure even less Black female tourist (although there were a heck of a lot of black american men there, hmmm). My friend and I were often mistaken for locals. A couple of black guys approached us and were quickly disappointed to find we were American's just like them. Sorry!
The city is cool (great market shopping and the food is yummylicious) but I wonder if as a tourist this city appeals more to men than women. There were "exotic" looking women in string bikini's galore (and hardly a Giselle look alike around, not saying there weren't any gorgeous women but many of the body types were "curvier" than I thought and many women wore bikinis who, let's just say, made me think them bold, at least thats the word choice I shall make after seeing a few 80 year old women in two pieces and 200 pound women in bikini's, not to mention all the men in speedos which was...unfortunate, I thought I'd see a lot more hot men than I saw).
But anyway, great trip!

1 comment:

Music Snob said...

Glad to see that good times were had in Brazil! I'm super jealous!

Btw, I recently switched my blog to private. If you would like access hit me up at musicsnob.no5@gmail.com.