Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Maybe Baby

This is a double header, I was on a roll...
So I just read an article in my Marie Claire Magazine called Work Now, Have Babies Later discussing the benefits of having kids later in life (not too late of course). As a girl nearing the end of her twenties (and really not particularly in a rush to have a rug rat hanging off my hip) it was nice to read this article. Hear are the main benefits to waiting until your thirties to have kids.
1) You cash in- Among full time workers between 40 and 45 with professional degrees, those who had their first kid at 25 made an average of 46k while those who waited until 35 made 79k. A woman’s average long-term salary increases by 3% for each year she delays kids. (I’m not saying wait till 40 or 50 to have your maximum profit but it’s not to now, you’re not “behind” if you don’t have kids in your twenties)
2)You may live longer (now this is what I like to hear)- Researches found that 34 is the optimum age to get pregnant in terms of health and longevity of the mother and 32 for the baby.
3)You have more bargaiing chips with the boss because you’ve established clout and therefore can get more flexibility as opposed to the younger mothers who are less experienced.
4)Maybe you’ll need in vitro. Maybe you won’t. A recent study found that after 35, the definition for infertility is trying for two years having sex at least two days during your most fertile week and not getting pregnant (as opposed to the former trying for one year).
This still may not change the “stigma” of not having a burping machine to run home to by 30 but when someone bugs me (you hear that Dad!) at least now I have something to throw at them.

5 comments:

Lady Dulayne said...

35 is the optimum age!

Wow, that is good news. This article is definitely hitting a different angle from the hurry-and have-babies-before-35-cause-your-eggs-are-drying-up ones. The ones that have scared me into thinking my chances of getting pregnant after 35 are dismal and that my odds of having a downs symdrome or other chromosomal issues are high.

So I may have more time. Good to know.

Not Your Average Male said...

Hopefully this is a positive sign -- although my opinion is a bit skewed as a health insurance underwriter who sees a bevy of claims due to women having babies past 35.

It is my only hope that those who wait longer than that will still have healthy babies and themselves will survive the birthing process.

Biology is a bitch, huh?

Erika 2004 said...

I guess the chances of my little one having a sibling it still possible then. Then again, who am I kidding? I absolutely despised being pregnant. I seriously doubt if I would did it again. Especially in my thirties. Post-pregnancy took such a toll on my body in my late twenties that I can't imagine that it would be any better in my thirties. Ick!!! Just the thought of doing that again. To each their own.

Another thing that I was thinking reading this post. In terms of salary. When I first got pregnant, I was employed at a company for about 7 years and making a pretty descent salary. By the time I gave birth, I had been downsized and started a new job. Seniority doesn't mean crap if your timing is wrong, no matter the age. And in this economy...

Ok, enough negativity from me.

Rashard said...

Or you could be like me and wait until after I'm DEAD before I even consider the thought of having kids, LOL.

Clever Elsie said...

Now here are some pros for delayed motherhood I've never heard before! Thanks for sharing these.

Although I'm not chomping at the teething ring--err, bit--to pop out a little Elsie, I'm well aware that I'll have to make a decision about doing so within the next five years. This blog was like comfort food after years of being fed the ticking clock line.