Monday, July 7, 2008

Texting is the New High Tech Security Blanket

Joe: Hey Cat this is Joe. We met at the gym, how are you?
Cat: Hey, things are good.

Joe: So how was your weekend? I was so busy with family for the holidays. Sorry I didn't call sooner

Cat:.....

No response.

Seriously, dude, pick up the phone! No we are not going to get into a whole conversation over text!

I took a very informal poll and found out that people, most particularly women, do not care for texting as the first communication from a guy. Meaning, if I meet Joe while out and give said man my number I do not care for his eventual technological contact with me to be via texting. Now I'm not talking about I just met him and moments later he sends me a text. That's okay, maybe even cute depending on what he wrote. HOWEVER, fellas, if you contact a person a day or so later and it is via a text message that is a let down.


Calling shows you are motivated to speak to that person and willing to set aside some time to get to know him or her and possibly plan an outing for the future. Texting someone as the first contact is a cop out and makes that person seem like they were an after thought. I say suck it up, take a risk and call that person!


What's the worst that could happen? You've already taken the biggest risk and it paid off because you got their number. And if they aren't home, I know this might be scary for some people but, you might just want to leave a message! Maybe it's just me but I like it when a guy cares enough to leave a message instead of just hanging up. Otherwise I'm left with the fact that he called because I have caller ID but don't know if I should call him back, is it important or does he plan to just call me back when he can? Too many questions, let's be simple, leave a message!


I know it's scary to call someone the first time but texting instead of making that first call has got to be the most annoying thing since walking around with those phone earpieces...when you aren't even talking to someone... or have your hands in use...while on a date. Everytime I see someone walk around with those things like they are Lt. Uhura from Star Trek I have to sigh deeply and practice some Ghandi like patience. Disengage from the machinery people!


Okay, back to the regularly schedule programming.


Anyway, I have to wonder if technology, for all it's greatness, is also making us lazy. I am meeting way too many guys who feel texting me a message for our first conversation is okay. Further , they then try to put the "burden" of calling off on me. They text me saying "hey, it's Pete from the other day, what's up, give a call when you can".


Seriously?


If you are the one interested why aren't you calling me? How has calling someone become the new hot potato?

4 comments:

Diva's Thoughts said...

Oh my goodness. I am so with you on this! AMEN!.

Anonymous said...

I feel you are right. Next guy you meet, tell them. "oh and give me a call. I don't have text messaging." see if they respond at all if their blankey is gone!

Unknown said...

I agree with this post whole- heartedly.
What is wrong with or what has happen to calling someone and saying the word hello?
Sometimes hearing a person's(man's)voice is so . . .I can't even think of the word. . .Breathtaking. . .heart racing.
Especially that first call when you fall out on the floor from the sound of his voice.

In relationships I want someone who I can connect with and get to know on a personal level.

There is nothing more non-personal than a text message.
*How was your day?
*If you really want to know call and ask me. Matter of fact, you should had done that to begin with so, please don't text me again or call(not that you ever did before).

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

LOL
where u been folk