Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Now entering: Adultville

I knew it would happen one day. I knew there would come a time when I'd simply be out of the loop. I thought it would happen when I got married and had kids or was well into my 30s but I guess I don't need to have a teen or hit 30 to enter the unhip, out of touch adultzone
Here were some of my tale-tell signs that I, of the Generation Y (whatever that means), have gone to the dark side:
  1. I don't get the damn hype over High School Musical. And now they have a movie going to theaters!
  2. I am not excited about the new 90210 even with Kelly serving as a teacher. The original cast was where it was at!
  3. Jonas Brothers, Cheetah Girls, Menudo (and not the original group, there is a new Menudo)- I can't get with it. Who are these people?
  4. I'm starting to NOT dig popular music or even know who the MTV artist are and using the phrase "back in my day when music was good". Yes, Summertime by Fresh Prince is now my old school cookout jam and I can site Tribe Called Quest as one of the desent rap groups back in the day. The only new rap artist I know of now is Lil Wayne and he is hardly on my good list.
  5. I could give a flying crap what is "in style" now. Not saying I don't know what's in style or won't wear it but it's not like when fall comes I'm rushing to the store to get the latest sneakers or jeans to wear to work. We don't have that new school year/ first week fashion show thing anymore. I don't care if I still rock the jeans I bought in 2001. In fact, I'm overjoyed I can still wear them!
  6. I have finally turned my back on MTV Real world. I just don't care about these people who all seem to look the same each season and have the same problems. Not to mention they are all younger than me now. I remember when they were way older and I had plans to try out for the show!
  7. I don't know all the new slang/lingo. I make up some of my own, bring back some old school stuff (like I frequently use "whack" now) or take some from adult reality shows like Project Runway (I'm all over Christians "hot tranny mess"). But the new words for cool, dope, hot, awesome? I haven't a friggin clue.
  8. Bad ass kids annoy me. When I was younger, I was a kid so I didn't care about other bad kids unless they bullied me. Now that I'm older and I see a kid act up, I shake my head and say they need their butt whooped. Gone are the days when I'd say "I'll never spank my kids".
  9. I'm fierce about my skin care regimin. I may not have bags, wrinkles or dark circles yet but I plan to keep it that way for as long as geneticlly possible so I use the anti wrinkle, under eye creams now for prevention but it does make me feel kind of old to have the cashier ring up my wrinkle reducing chemical peel and have her ask me how it works. Hell if I know but I figure as long as I see no wrinkles I'm good to go!
  10. But on that note, when I wake up from a late night of partying, the reflextion in my mirror is less than camera ready. I need cucumbers to depuff. Sigh.
  11. I'm starting to wake up early on the weekends. I did when I was little but then I hit teenage ville and never cracked open an eyelid on a Saturday before 10am. Now that seems entirely too late. 730/8am is my usual. I like to get out and work out before all the people hit the city.

Any signs you've hit "adultville"?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

thats a good thing
i left home at 17

Anonymous said...

Mine just happened recently--giving up on the Real World this season. It felt like my last tie to non-adulthood. And, quite frankly, I feel better about myself now that I'm off that show. It is soooo bad, as you pointed out.

Anonymous said...

the real world is really just too much for me to handle anymore....i realized i was an "adult" two days ago when i got upset because i couldn't find the talk radio station....

Lady Dulayne said...

Girl I'm there (and on Blogspot while at work WOO-HOO!)

I'm old. I realized I was there when I barely knew who sang what on the radio, can't rememeber the last time I saw a music video (which used to be MY LIFE!) and hadn't tuned into MTV in weeks. I got old.

And from the looks of things, we're only going to get older. Aint that something!

Unknown said...

My children are liking High School Musical, Jonas Brothers, the Cheetah Girls (who are 3LW with a new member and new name)

EEWW to 90210.

Wait when it comes to fashion I am STILL a I want it now. However adultville has taught me I can't always do that I have other things to take care of :(

I make up words all the time to suit what I want to say.

I hit adultville when I started watching what I eat, if I am excerising enough, getting enough sleep, you know not wanting a heart attack.

Erika 2004 said...

Adultville crept in slowly at first, then smacked me in the face hard at 30. My body started to take longer to recover from small injuries. My digestive system became ultra sensitive. I can't eat the same junk I did in my 20s, which is probably a good thing since I can put on weight a bit too easily these days. I started to give a damn about what was going in the world outside my window.

I can relate to pretty much everything you mentioned. And Case Quarter, I feel you on the talk radio shows. At least they are more interesting then most of today's music.

Eb the Celeb said...

that new 90210 has tristan in it who played Mike on the wire... i just cant see him playing some cheezy teeny bopper role after being such a gangster... he even looks weird in all the promo pics all goody goody and what not... I will NOT be watching