Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Go, Go, Global Warming


Excerpt I got from Yahoo News-
Andrea ThompsonLiveScience Staff WriterLiveScience.com
A vast ice shelf hanging on by a thin strip looks to be the next chunk to break off from the Antarctic Peninsula, the latest sign of global warming's impact on Earth's southernmost continent.Scientists are shocked by the
rapid change of events…
Shark population declining as well as other animals such as bees ( how about cockroaches, they never go anywhere)
Warming may effect Lake Tahoe
Increased hurricane/flooding activity
Threats to fields that grow food
Coastal positioning shifts prompting changes in development to prevent cities from going underwater

Now I hardly confess to being a green-head as I like to say (okay I’ve never said that but whatever). I try to do my bit in recycling paper , reusing plastic bags and electronics, unplug appliances and electronics when not in use, don’t buy a gas guzzling pollutant car, and buying earth friendly light bulbs (although now I hear they are bad to throw out). But if the real threat of global warming doesn’t get you then how about a recognition (this goes to you Mr. Bush) that our environment is changing and not so sure for the better.
While I’m not yet tossing and turning at night over the state of our environment I do get a fear that our grandkids and later descendants will live in a world more akin to the Matrix “real world” than an Adam and Eve garden.


In that spirit, just thought I’d do a little part to post some “green tips” I rummaged around the internet for, for the earth conscious inclined! Have to get my life right and follow these myself! Some of these tips aren’t also earth friendly but they are money friendly and who doesn’t like to save!

1) Steam (like the Dryell products you use in your dryer) instead of dry clean (dry cleaners use harsh chemicals to the environment and humans- okay so I have to pick up my last suit from the dry cleaners and wave a sad farewell)

2) Keep heat around 69 in the winter and air condition around 75 in the summer. (I do this too, not so bad)

3) Use a reusable canvas for shopping instead of plastic or paper shopping bags

4) Cut back on use of plastic water bottles

5) Use reusable batteries

6) Use
Compact Florescent Light (CFL) light bulbs (but because they contain mercury seal them in a plastic bag and see if you can take it to a recycle program, this site tells you more about it http://www.greenlivingonline.com/HomeGarden/recycle-cfls/.greenlivingonline.com/HomeGarden/recycle-cfls/

7) Bring your own mug to Starbucks (who knew they did this). It’s 10 cents cheaper and your cutting down on waste by having them fill your
own cup!

8) Wash all clothes in cold water (yes even whites). It’s okay really. I actually do this one!

9) Simply put- recycle! To find out some places check this site out -
Earth911.org.

10) Drive less (don’t have to tell me twice with these gas prices!)

11) Switch to green power- check this site out to see if your state has green utilities
http://www.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/buying/buying_power.shtml

12) Go to the car wash instead of washing your own car (more efficient, saves water)- My laziness is all for that!


Here are some good sites to check out every now and then and also where I got these tips!

http://lifestyle.msn.com/green/?vendor=paid%20inclusion,Paid%20Inclusion&pkw=PI&OCID=iSEMPI
http://green.yahoo.com/living-green/
http://www.thedailygreen.com/going-green/
http://www.thegreenguide.com/
http://www.greenlivingonline.com/

1 comment:

Diva's Thoughts said...

I so need to get green. I'm embarassed to say I am FAR from it.