Monday, March 16, 2009

Tough Love: Girl does not meet boy

I was watching this show with a guy friend of mine and this beautiful woman in her mid thirties stated that she had never been in a serious relationship and he did not get how that could happen. I told him it was a lot easier than he thought. I know a good amount of women in their thirties who haven’t dated in almost a decade. Now I’ve been single for an ion but I can at least say I have had the fortune (or some times misfortune) to consistently date but I get how a woman, even one that looks like Halle Berry with a Michele Obama intelligence and a Oprah personality, can be single for a long long time. So I ask you:

Where the men at?

If you are in a situation where you don’t work, live or worship around eligible men, you’re kind of in a rut. Outside of school, we rarely are in situations on a consistent basis where we are around eligible bachelors. You are kind of limited on possibilities except for rare fluke encounters at the store or gym.

So, I gotta ask, where does a single gal go? The idea of doing something just to meet a man doesn’t sit well with me but I understand that you have to put yourself in places to be seen as well. Which leads me to my new favorite reality show: Tough love. Which is basically a dating boot camp headed by this male match maker. Eight beautiful women, ranging from 21 to 38 are given dating overhauls to try to find what they are doing wrong. Maybe it's not that men aren't out there, maybe they are putting off a vibe that runs the good ones away. For some it's obvious: there's the cold one, the one who constantly talks about marriage, the one who wants to be save a dude, the partier, the gold digger. But there were some women I could relate to, particularly the woman who had a fairy tale idea of what she wanted and the woman who put up a cold facade. Nothing like seeing a characteristic you can relate to on another person to make you take a second look at yourself.

The show is by the creators of He's Just Not That Into You and I think I'll follow it to see if it's actually possible that I might learn something too. Though I'm not ruling out the idea that Baltimore is limited in eligible singles, I know that I can't change my surroundings so maybe by reevaluating what I can change (myself) maybe I might start attracting the the type of men I really want to date. We'll see.

4 comments:

Diva's Thoughts said...

The pool of eligible men in Baltimore is very slim...

I have been pondering the same things you have for quite some time here. Hmmmmmm.....

I do look at myself quite abit to see what I can do differently to attract the kind of man I really want. It's not that easy.

Unknown said...

I wonder the same thing all the time.
Where are all the men at?

And I mean good ones. . .there are an abundance of . . .men if you want to lower your standards and settle.

And when you go to the places you may find men. . .you also find 100 women thinking the same thoughts.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

good question because we men are around maybe some too selective

Clever Elsie said...

For places to meet men, have you tried Meetup.com? They have offline groups based around every interest known to man. It's less pressured than speed dating or other dating events because everyone is there to engage in a specific activity rather than just to hook up. You go a few times, check it out, and if you don't like the crowd, you move on. I haven't met a date through Meetup yet, but I have had some fun afternoons.