Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I don't have to do anything but stay black and die

And if you've seen Lean on Me you remember that quote from Joe Clark (aka Morgan Freeman) when he was arrested.

This saying came recently to my head when my sister expressed the problem of being invited to a friend's baby shower although she didn't want to go. This friend wasn't someone she was particularly close to, hadn't hung out with them for a while and she was tight on cash.

I too had been invited to this baby shower and had not hung out with this "friend" or even talked to this person in about two years. So what was my answer when she approached me with this problem? See the title.

Life is too short to do things you don't want to do, unless of course there is a greater good or goal to be reached.

This wasn't that situation so I told her don't do it.

I'm know I'm not an old lady whose lived her life and can pretty much tell people to "sit and spin" with wild abandon but as I get older I think I earn a little right along the way to say "hell to the no" to a few things that come my way. And going to certain social functions so someone I'm not that close to won't be mad at me is one of them.

There are a lot of people I don't owe crap too and some of these people I choose to give to anyway, perhaps because they need it. Giving to others is supposed to make you feel good. If it doesn't then don't do it or think carefully before you do.

If you keep giving of your time, money and energy to ungrateful, rude, selfish people you'll only end up full of resentment and anger. Why go there?

I used to go to birthday parties of people who never came to mine. So in essence I was spending all this money on birthday gifts and never got it cosmically returned (although that's not what giving is all about) but still I felt bad. I went to their parties to be nice but they didn't go to mine. They didn't care about my feelings- they were probably feeling the title here. So I decided to save my money and do the same.

Is that mean?

I think life is too short to go broke caring.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If I was invited to a baby shower by a friend I haven't heard from in two years . . .I would not have to think twice about not going.

If you can't call me or visit or show up at my party please don't call on me and my funds when you having a baby. . .looking for freebies.

Diva's Thoughts said...

I have a hard time saying no to people when it comes to invitations. I am working on that actually.

Anonymous said...

Luvs it!! I think I just found my new catch phrase!! LOL || todaystatus.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Ain't this the truth. I love this quote because folks always be talking about "you have to do this...." or "you have to do that.....", bullsh*t, all I gotta do is stay black and....well, you know the rest.

Erika 2004 said...

I know the feeling. Didn't you mention this in reference to weddings as well?

I was going to say that people get busy in life and are not always able to keep in contact the way they want to. But it is rather suspect that the time that they choose to contact you is to invite you to an event that requires that you bring a gift.

Let me ask you something: if the same person, after not talking to you for a while, invited you to, say "just hang out", would you consider going or would the fact that some time has passed be a factor?

Clever Elsie said...

Hah! Now I'm the one invited to a baby shower by someone I hardly ever talk to. I'm going to go, though, because I feel bad for her. She had a hard life growing up, and I'm not sure she really knows how to be a good friend in some ways. But I'm not trying particularly hard to keep the friendship going after this, either.