Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Look a Likes








I’ve been told most of my life that I look like someone. When I was little (and still) I looked like my mother.

When I was in college everyone thought I looked like Alexis Fields from Sister, Sister.

In my early twenties I looked like Sanaa Latham.

Most recently I’ve been getting a lot of “has anyone ever told you you look like Gabrielle Union?” (and I get that from all races and both genders). Now I don’t feel I look like her at all (not the same color and if I don’t wear my hair straight the similarities just don’t show). I don’t get it but I think she’s pretty so there is worse I could be compared to.

Seeing as none of these women look a like themselves I’m not quite sure what everyone is talking about or maybe I’m just a chameleon.

Anyway, I just always thought it was interesting. To a degree, everyone has someone or even a few people they look like that they aren’t related to. Heck my dad was said to look like Bill Cosby and my sister Keisha Knight Pullman (aka Rudy), I felt left out then. I wanted to be a Huxtable!

This look alike bit led me to wonder if we tend to date with that in mind. Have you ever found yourself dating a certain type visually? I got stuck on that in my younger days. The guys would be in my skin complexion category and clean shaven for the most. Then I started going for the earthy curly haired types. (Incidentally, Lenny Kravitz (post locks) and Maxwell were my celebrity crushes, kind of similar, right?) I got out of that by my early twenties. I tend to not like to date guys who look like guys I dated before. It seems like I’m regressing. It’s a superficial thing but it’s what’s comfortable.

I once went out with a guy I thought looked too much like my brother. I did not care for that and stopped seeing him. His feelings were hurt but I’m sorry I just could not. Nope.

6 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

well they are in great company with u

Unknown said...

I don't like dating certain guys who either favor my brother or are around my complextion it makes me feel funny.

I have been told I look like white and black actresses. Even a male one.

I tend to favor dark men when dating but I date all flavors of black men . . .not lighter than me.
And my ex was not dark.

clnmike said...

I disagree all the women you named seem to have high cheek bones, I take it yours is as well.

I thought my attraction was to a woman's body, but than I discovered I was nutty for women who had big lips, high cheek bones, and big eyes.

That was the common thread.

Anonymous said...

Well all of the above women are attractive, so like you said, the comparisons are definitely compliments.
On a personal level, I have never dated women that favor each other in any way, shape, fashion or form. One of my ex-girlfriends was brown skin 5'-2" tall and extremely athletic with the body of a goddess. On the opposite side of that, my most recent ex was light-brown skinned, 6'-0" tall, non-athletic with an average body. They were clearly not the same, but I was still attracted to both and loved them both. I can honestly say that every woman that I have been with, ranging from my ex-wife to my latest ex-girlfriend, were all different in the manners of physicality. Thank God for variety.

Diva's Thoughts said...

I got a couple of "You look like...." too but I don't agree so I brush it off.

Brothers Blog said...

I love me some sanaa latham!

But I sort of date or attract the same types for some reason. It always wilds me out how that happens but...