Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Boo: A Halloween tribute

So Halloween is coming up and I, just like a kid get excited for it. As a child doned a costume and I gorged myself on candy and horror movies/ specials/cartoons.

As an adult I cut back on the candy but have in recent years gone back to dressing up. Adults like make believe too!
So this year some friends and I are rocking a Halloween tribute to our favorite make believe girl band of the 80's: Jem and the Holograms.

We're heading downtown and plan to mix and mingle with the other Halloween enthusiasts.

I, like most girls of the 80s loved this cartoon. It was diverse and glamourous.
There was Jem the stage identity of Jerrica who sung the lead.
Then we have her red headed sister Kimber on keyboard.
Next the adopted purple haired sister Shana on drums and guitar.
Another adopted blue haired sister Aja on guitar.
Later in the series comes pink haired Raya to take over on drums.
I remember my sister getting the Jem doll and we got the jem car complete with working radio.
I got the Aja doll (I really wanted Shana because she was African American but they were sold out so I got Aja as back up because she was Chinese and I wanted a minority representative, this was before Raya (Mexican) entered the group).

So this Friday my friends and I are going to relive our child hood fantasy and dress up as our beloved characters. We will of course look like clowns in our 80s make up and gear but it should be fun.
Anyone else dressing up?
Next in my tribute I had to do a count down of my top horror films.
I am a self appointed horror aficionado and MUST stuff myself with horror films (both new and old) during the month of October. Here are some of my favorites/recommendations and why:
Alien/Aliens- I place them both because they are equally good. While some may claim them science fiction I say if it scares me it's horror. It wasn't just the monsters that did it but the suspense and the great character development and I'm sorry Sigorney Weaver's character is the best female movie hero of all time. I hope I can be that strong in time of horrifying crisis but I'm leaning towards the running away screaming or passing out in fright as the real reality.
The Exorcist- I hated that little girl but she still scared me. When I saw her bend back wards and walk down the stairs at her mother's dinner party I was too through. This was only intensified by the random appearances of a demon face in random parts of the movie (check the unrated version), scared me! And the fact that it was based on a true story.
30 Days of Night- this movie is new but it brings the whole vampire lore back to its unsexy past. These are vampires you do NOT want biting you under any circumstances!
Dawn of the Dead (remake)- these zombies are not like the slow moving beings in the original. If you are caught out there with these guys, you're gone. Apparently being a zombie makes you a track star! Also great character interaction.

The Ring (American Version)- Okay, I really don't like this movie but not because it wasn't good- I don't like it because after seeing it once I was literally scared for 7 days. I shall never watch this movie again... Same goes with The Grudge
The Thing (John Carpenter version)- great horror special effects for its time, great scary build up
Most Stephen King movies but favorites- The Mist (very desolate, creepy), The Stand (long but great characters), It (confirms why I hate clowns) , Carrie (don't mess with the unpopular girl), and the Shining (makes being snowed in not so fun).
Poltergeist- Not so scary to me as an adult (hey if they show it on ABC Family how scary can it be?) but still a classic I love to watch. The fact that it is based on a true story also makes it scare worthy.
Any others?












9 comments:

Unknown said...

I refuse to watch the Excorist. When I was younger I would leave the room. I don't like the Omen either. Things like that will have me on edge all week.

I tend to stay away from horror movies. I lose enough sleep messing with everyday people let alone the supernatural.
If I had to pick a movie it might be Children of the Corn.

I remember the cartoon a little you are talking about but, I think alot of people are going to ask you. . who?

I brought so much Halloween candy and I plan on keeping most of it for myself.
Oh I am doing the Goth Fairy thing it's not orginal but, I like the Goth look and it's the one time of the year I can get away with it.

clnmike said...

I never heard of the cartoon.

But that list is straight.

Patrick said...

That's a pretty awesome list of movies you have there. The first half of IT is probably the most scared I ever was during a movie, of course I was 9 or so at the time and didn't realize how the ending made the entire more not scary (which I didn't see until college). Have you ever seen Event Horizon? There is some gratuitous gore and such in it, but there are also some pretty horrific scenes.

CC Solomon said...

Sharon- yeah, if people don't figure us out (although I've done some research and found a good number of other people who've done this) we will tell them we are an 80's glam/rock group.

Patrick- I forgot about Event Horizon- that was good one!

Music Snob said...

Girl you thought the Ring was scary? Try watching Ringu, the Japanese version. Definitely 10 times scarier than the American version.

Some older favorites include Rosemary's Baby and Hellraiser. I also loved The Exorcism of Emily Rose, 28 Days Later, SAW, and Quarantine.

Ooooh, The Horror, The Horror!

KEN SOLOMON said...

A different time and space. Halloween for me was a time of moonlit runs to a sugarcane field or pumpkin patch, maybe blowing up a lone standing mailbox with cherry bombs. Out in the country, no TV, dirt roads and dark nights. We were too poor for trick or treating so we would all converge on any local confectionary stores ( this was before 7-11's)and raid the candy isle and then run for our lives back into the dark night. That was back were I come from. A different time and space.

Lady Dulayne said...

Yes, I will be rocking a (black) Jen right along with you my Shana! And hoping I don't freeze my 80's butt off!

80's horror? Funny you should mention The Exorcist cause Bri and I watched it just last Sunday and I'm still hearing that demonic voice in my ear, 4 days later! Still my all-time favorite horrow movie.

The Alien movies were good,
never say 30 Days,
The Ring, ok,
Daw of the Dead? Both the original and the remakes are my favorites. I even downloaded a few of the soundtrack sounds on iTunes (of course!).

Poltergiest I love! Along with most Stephen King movies.

But for best I have to add The Shining. One of the eeriest damn movies ever.And Texas Chainsaw Massacre for just disturbing.

Dang, we forgot to have a scary movie night in Oct!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

im a lame none of them movies were scary
but jen and the holograms do sound frightning lol

Diva's Thoughts said...

The Exorcist scares the bejeesus outta me! Never again.