Saturday, December 29, 2007

Single is the New Black

So after over hearing my parents and step mother discuss my single status (apparently a favoite pastime that may be in part perpetuated by the fear that I will never bear them grandchildren) I felt the need to vent. I'm single yes, and while I don't have the urge to throw on a white dress and sprint to the altar just yet, being a part of a stable satisying relationship is desirable. But it is what it is as I told my brother who also inquires whether "I have a man". Then there are my coworkers who, for the most part, are all married and a few have expressed the desire to be on the "look out" for me. I shrugg my shoulders- what can you do. As I've posted before- the odds of a successful open minded black woman finding love, while not quite on winning the lottery chances, is still hard to achieve. And one like me who finds interest in things that don't seem "typical" of a black woman and, therefore, would like to find a mate who is the same, makes me feel like finding love is on the same line as getting hit by lighting.
I've made my efforts, gone out, joined social groups, online dating (I joined as a "social experiement and find it isn't soley for freaks although there are some of them, anyway, I'd recommend it), changed my usual MO when I go out. All to no avail. I've even heavily contemplated moving because my area leaves much to be desired in the eligible bachelor realm (we were afterall named one of the fattest, uglist cities in some magazines in the past). But I think, good things come to those who wait and I don't stress. You just can't control this type of thing. It doens't hang up on looks or personality (there are plenty of unattractive (although thats subjective right?) and mean people who are in relationships). It's just how the proverbial dice is rolled. But until then, I'll go on my random dates, hang with my friends, do a little traveling, focus on my writing and just keep things moving and being the person I hope I was intended to be- what else you going to do?

8 comments:

Music Snob said...

I feel you girl. I've been single for going on 3 years now and although I would like to eventually meet the hubby, I view my current single status as an opportunity for my own personal growth in terms of my career, hobbies, etc without having to be concerned with whether my life's plan jives with someone elses. Call it selfish, but I honestly believe that establishing myself as an individual will ultimately make me a better partner in the long run.

ps Long live the online dating! We should double sometime. :op

Lady Dulayne said...

You have the right attitude girl. And after my 3 years single, I still feel like its like trying to hit the lottery. Its honestly just a game of chance. Even the best catch out there may still have trouble. Chemistry is just a weird thing to define and capture and even two people with everything in common down the list, may not hit it off for a varied reasons.

Single life aint bad. In fact, these days, it can be damn good. Til it happens, you do you and keep on having fun, that's what I say.

Erika 2004 said...

I have to agree. You cannot rush these things. When you do, it just seems like you can get lost in the relationship and blinded to the obvious problems.

A friend of mine got divorced a while back. She got back into shape, was going out more. She was focusing more on herself. I was so happy for her. However, she really wanted a man in her life. And the next guy, well, Prince Charming ended up truly being a toad. If she wasn't so desperate to have a man, she would have seen most of the signs from the door.

Angry Asian said...

amen. don't settle.

CC Solomon said...

Yeah music snob, we should double online date- and if the dudes are lame we have someone to share the misery with, hehe!

Music Snob said...

Great article!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/business/media/31single.html?ex=1200027600&en=05aaf6071f3e3a26&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Also the quirkalone site seems pretty cool as well.

http://quirkyalone.net/qa/

Not Your Average Male said...

The best is when you're not looking and love comes knocking on your door like a repo man & slugs you like a UFC fighter. Enjoy singledom & the dating life -- hopefully Tito Ortiz will come swinging before you know it ;-)

CC Solomon said...

Interesting article music snob!