Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Kids Aren't Alright

Teen shoots and kills people at mall.
Teen shoots and kills people at church.
Teens beat up guy on subway.
Teens accost guy on MTA.
Teen takes on life after shooting, after being picked on, after being rejected.
Ect, ect…

So after hearing what seems to be the 10th story in the last few weeks about teens committing violence against others I gotta say something: What in the world is going on? I still have a wee bit of my twenties left and don’t fancy myself so far removed from this generation to not understand them but this violence baffles me. When I was in school kids seemed more violent and crueler than generations before but lately this violence has been turned outward to strangers and authority figures or grown ups. It’s as if some kids don’t live in fear of repercussions.

No fear of punishment, “whoopins”, detention, jail or death! This new surge in youth violence crosses all racial lines. This is not a white problem or a black problem, it’s an US problem. Or maybe the media is just hyping youth violence up since Columbine and this is really nothing new, we just think it is because of the greater coverage. I’m not so sure about that. And if it’s not true then that means that something has definitely changed in our environment to bring out such aggression. TV and its narrow definition of what is cool that bores its way into kids subconscious? Or is the world become so violent that kids are becoming desensitized (has violence gone up a notch or is it that kids are becoming more exposed to it than they were in the past?). Or have adults babied their kids too much?

There has been a lot of discussion recently about how my generation, and I suppose the younger generation, has a different work ethic than those before us. We need instant gratification and were raised to be praised at every step of the way. We quit jobs quicker if we don’t see progress in our career sooner and crave awards. This is the total opposite of our parents who may have stayed at jobs they despised for 20-40 years and never received so much as a thank you from their bosses. We also live at home longer than our parents did. On the bright side (not to sound arrogant) we’re smarter and faster. On the down side, we are less patient and less humble.
So I suppose if that type of parenting is continued, one in which we are praised for almost doing nothing and are not encouraged to stick with things when they get tough (with the assumption it’ll get better), what kind of people will this produce if this child rearing pattern intensifies? I think we’re looking at it. Spoiled brats who have an all about me attitude. No fear of punishment.
Now, I am not saying all kids are like this. I have read up on some teens that are helping to change the world for better and there are many teens out there adhering to the rules and not causing trouble. And I suppose it’s safe to say that the violent teens have a lot more going on than bad parenting and the screwed up media. But these incidents bothered me and I just had to wonder what was going on!

8 comments:

Erika 2004 said...

Much of this is not new. Teen violence has taken root in many previous generations. The media just rotates the stories to keep the news "interesting". However, the main difference, in my opinion, is the level of the brutality. Like you say, many of these kids are not scared by the potential consequence, because, frankly, there is none. I am tired of kids getting a short sentence at juvenile hall for crimes deserve life. Or when a juvenile does get a long sentence, there is this huge public outcry.

Where to begin? I'm sure that much of the problem starts at home. The parenting of some people, well let's just say that sometimes I wish that it wasn't so easy to have a child. Some people should really not be parents, ever. Peer pressure can be incredibly powerful for a teen. Sometimes it can be as simple as just plain boredom. Kids get bored way too easy these days.

Not Your Average Male said...

[Erika] I agree. Peer pressure and parenting (or lack thereof) are crucial factors -- but unfortunately for us, they're not the only ones. Much of what happens now has been happening for years -- but never to this degree.

[Cat] I like what you said about the good kids out there. I actually get excited when I see stories on the news about good things that happened. The sensational garners so much attention (read: ratings) that those media types won't dare stray away from it.

Sadly, it would be difficult for us to effect any change without a mass, unified effort. One or two people can't do it alone.. the only thing we can do as individuals is try to raise our children as well as we can and hope they turn out okay.

If that doesn't work, we can always blame it on movies and video games -- that seems to be what's hot these days...

Rashard said...

Don't forget rap music, Abe.

I agree and would like to also like to add to one of your points. Kids today are raised to become me-first. They're also raised to be pussies that need to be catered to and coddled every step of the way. They're trying to outlaw beating your kids in some states. ARE YOU KIDDING? I wouldn't be the man I am today if my mom and sister (13 years my senior) weren't allowed to tap my bad ass from time to time. A perk of being a parent is the right to administer beat-downs to your unruly offspring.

I also saw on Sportcenter that in some Little Leagues they've banned the kids singing those taunting songs like "We want a pitcher, not a belly-itcher." Awwwww, Lil Timmy doesn't like when someone calls him names. Boo-hoo. MAN UP PARENTS! YOU'RE SOFT. Getting teased builds character, puts hair on your chest. The more we try to protect kids from every damn thing the more damage we're doing. Parents need to get their shit straight and stop treating their children like fine china. It's ridiculous. Pussies.

Anonymous said...

What about the parents who are scared of their children? They can't discipline their children if they fear them. I'm not exactly sure how that came about. I'm 26 years old and I still shiver when I think of my mom's infamous "Try Me" look. My mother didn't play that. I knew right from wrong and I knew the consequences. Discipline needs to be instilled in children from the moment they pop out of the womb.

It's scary to know each generation cares less and less about themselves and about their fellow man. People don't value life.

Jerome said...

Anyone familiar with the Offspring song of the same title/subject? Good song. Good post. In my experience its the kids that are do not have anyone raising them that are in big trouble. It is very sad. There are many parents that just should not have kids, they are lazy, irresponsible and not ready to take care of anyone. If it was just a stable situation it would be ok but the neglected children often become worse than the parents. Some become active scourges on society. Some seem to want to try to repair what their parents did, to become better. But hey dont have the tools, they dont know how! Civilization is more delicate than you would think!

Lady Dulayne said...

Well I'm going to go ahead and say I think it is a direct result of parents not whuppin these kids growing up. Cause I know most kids I know that got a good ass whuppin growing up, stayed out of trouble later on.

Kids need to fear the consequences and their parent's actions and I'll bet those kids don't. They probably ran their parent's.

Ass whuppins! That's the key! Give em' sooner, then they wont need them later!

CC Solomon said...

Ass whuppins! That's the key! Give em' sooner, then they wont need them later!

Love it! I think I'll take that saying!

Jerome said...

here is a little biblical quote for your heathens: "spare the rod, spoil the child." lol