Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Challenge- Rapper's (and R&B) Delight



So no new thing here but thought I'd vent about the state of hip-hop and r&b today. Think I've had enough of the lyrical trash that gets thrown at me on a daily basis. Not only is it unfufilling, it is degrading to a whole gender and race of people. I feel like my parent's now when I hear certain songs and don't even bother to keep up with certain top 40 songs any more. Everything just seems the same- sex/women, drugs/violence, fame/money, rinse and repeat.

Can't we get a little deeper, instead of sex how about love, instead of violence how about other issues facing our community (education, disease, politics), instead of money how about something random? I find myself falling more in favor with neo soul and rock out of the sheer need to feel something different and I don't know be able to think about my lyrics. Sometimes I wish the old days of music would return (and by old I mean early 90s). I'm talking


  • Sensativity by Ralph Tresvant over Put you to Bed by J Holiday (okay guys we know you can have sex but can you sustain a positive relationship)


  • Mama- Tupac over Duffle bag boy by Lil Wayne (since when has being little been cute on anything other than pet or a baby?)


  • Self Destruction collaboration over I get Money Collaboration


Of course we have a few artist who think out the box Common, Outkast, Roots, Kaos, Kanye West (yes I said it), Jill Scott, Maxwell (where the hell is he by the way).



Which leads me to vent on my Top Ten Songs that did nothing for Black people and women:



10. Freak- Adina Howard- just how I like men to think of us



9. Body Like a Car- R. Kelly (may get some titles wrong but [shrugs in disconcern])



8.Thong Song- Cisco (did I spell his name wrong- who cares)



7. Back that Thing up- Juvinille (no I will not)



6. Anything by Luke



5.Skeet Skeet (?)- Lil John (disgusting)



4. Rump shaker- Teddy Riley and some other dudes (I think this started the whole down grade)



3. Supaman- by who and cares



2. Put it in your mouth- by I and forgot



And the number one waste of my listening time....



1. Hard Out here for a pimp - Three 6 Mafia (for trying to make us feel bad for criminals and for actually winning an Oscar, here's an extra pimp slap to the Oscar committee for enforcing stereotypes and having them perform on the show).



Any honorable mentions out there?

4 comments:

Lady Dulayne said...

Girl! I feels ya, FEELS ya!

I think my main beef with hip hop right now is how degrading and stupid it is. I mean, yeah, there has always been stupid hip hop out but it seems that it gets more airplay nowadays and on mainstream stations.

Rock music, like Nickelback, is actually way more soothing to my soul right now. Now how weird is that?

Though I will admit to bouncing my booty to a few of those songs on your shit list, really the only thing they have really contributed it is making black woman look more and more like big bootyed, titty-bouncing, sperm-depositing hoes.

And its no wonder we're the demographic least likely to marry. Who the hell would want to raise babies and bring that image home to mama?

Erika 2004 said...

I gave up on mainstream radio years ago. My music tastes have always been a bit eclectic, but lately I've found myself listening to mainstream hip hop and R&B less and less. Most of it has no meaning anymore, no creativity. It's just being tricked out for a quick buck.

Not sure if this can be considered an honorable mention fully, but it got on my nerves:
- In the closet - every part - R. Kelly

- It's Getting Hot in here - Nelly (although I have to admit guilty dancing pleasure from that song)

And there's this other Nelly song, I can't think of the name of it, but in the video, there is a part where a credit card is slid between a woman's butt cheeks. Just plain nasty and degrading.

Not Your Average Male said...

Erika: that song would be "Tip Drill"

Cat: you're right... music is crap now. I just try to find & stick with those artists that would continue to innovate, experiment and create REAL music -- such as those you've mentioned, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Justin Timberlake (that boy is pretty good), Robin Thicke (see previous), Chrisette Michele (I'm LOVING her CD right now, can't stop playing it...) and more... fortunately, even though bull-ish will continue to reign supreme on the radio and billboard, these artists will keep the real stuff alive.

Not Your Average Male said...

P.S.: You can add "Ay Bay Bay" and "The Whisper Song" to your shit list.