Sunday, July 12, 2009

Count down begins


So I have three, count em, three more weeks until I pick my crap up and move from the fair city of Bmore. Ah, Baltimore, Smaltimore, Baldmore, Bmore we had our fun. I shall not hate on you, you and I just were not a good fit. Funny though, as I talk to my DC friends, some a bit snobby about Baltimore (I'm still taken off guard by how many folk think Baltimore is mostly like The Wire, I'm kind of pissed at that series because of that), I can't help but defend the city. Although I didn't grow up in the city , I did make it my home for the last 4 plus years. It is much more than the crime that some out of towners seemed to think. We have the fabulous art and music scene here. Artscape is nationally known and Rolling Stone even rated Bmore number one in the music scene (yep we beat out New York can you believe it?). It has many nice residential areas and it's pretty diverse (although a bit separated). It's small but unpretentious.

I gave it a good college try. Joined many organizations, volunteered, went to local events, checked out the many types of night life. I really feel its going to be a great town some day soon. But for me, it's time to bid it adieu. As I tell folk I'm moving towards the DC area they smile and say good choice. Not one person, besides my dad who wants me to be closer to the family, says I shouldn't do it. I know DC has it's faults. The male to female ratio is not so great and DC guys can be pretty pretentious and superficial. However, the Maryland and Northern VA guys are a bit different and I'm not deterred (not as if I was living the single life here). Anyway, I'm moving for more than just a new single scene. I'm moving for a total change. I don't want to be in the same place in my thirties as I am in my twenties (except for the no wrinkles thing). Change is good. And most good things don't happen without taking a little risk so here I go! To make the most of this change, I will join new groups and try new things and keep you posted (as entertainment for you and as a way to hold myself accountable to actually do new things). Wish me luck!

Image from http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/people/6017999-moving.php?id=6017999

2 comments:

Diva's Thoughts said...

Congrats on your decision to move. I'm just like you in that I am constantly having to defend Baltimore to out of towners. They seem to think we are only what you see on The Wire and The Corner and I am also mad at those shows for that. All these other crime shows come on TV and people never seem to have the preconceived notion that those cities are like that so I wonder why they do that to Baltimore.

I,however, also plan to move from Baltimore one of these days.

Anonymous said...

People of ignorance will always continue to talk about how "bad" Baltimore is as if any other major city in America is not plagued by crime and homelessness. I live less than 10 miles from the Capitol and you can best believe that the park benches are full of homeless people right in front of it and crime in DC... don't get me started. No matter where you go, you'll always be faced with what's typical with any city-such is life.

The important thing is that change IS good and if moving closer to DC is the change you need, then that's great, but Baltimore has its place. It's a city rich with culture and you can always be proud in saying that you lived in such a hip city.